Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Fails, Claimed to be Stupid by Design

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:57:38 +0100
<394720665.VAFxZDPyi4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> A Windows error on a gas pump
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It?s a Windows XP error that says: ?The file or directory C:
> | \\XPE_ROOT\system32 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk
> | utility.?
> `----
>
> http://www.mathewingram.com/work/2007/07/10/a-windows-error-on-a-gas-pump/

Oh, the puns one could make on this one.

"Is Microsoft Windows running out of gas?"

"Microsoft Windows.  Because if it blows up, it really
bombs."

"Microsoft Windows.  Because gasoline really does need
more excitement."

"Microsoft Windows.  Because both it and gas are really
really cheap.  Not."

> Why is Everything so Stupid on Windows?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Sorry, I just had to ask. I can get away with saying it just once per year.
> | This is it. Hold your fire.
> `----
>
> http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=why_is_everything_so_stupid_on_windows&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"Offline attribute" for a file??  My brain hurts.

Apparently the true Windows analogue for grep, as the
article points out at the very end, is findstr, which has
a number of options -- generally different from grep of
course, but with similar functionality.

With one exception.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/findstr.mspx?mfr=true

findstr [/b] [/e] [/l] [/r] [/s] [/i] [/x] [/v] [/n] [/m] [/o] [/p]
[/offline] [/g:file] [/f:file] [/c:string] [/d:dirlist]
[/a:ColorAttribute] [strings] [[Drive:][Path] FileName [...]]

[...]

/offline : Processes files with offline attribute set.

(??!?!)

Gotta love the mix of one-chars and /offline as well.

The wingrep utility does get honorable mention in my neck
of the woods for guifying what probably really doesn't
need much of a GUI.  Granted, one might want to save
common searches -- but most script programmers would probably
create a bash script.  Me, I'd create a script then forget
what I called it. :-)

(The Linux analogue for an "offline file" could be several
things, depending on system setup.  "Stale NFS file handle"
might be the most puzzling one.)

> Windows Vista: Secure Or Just Frustrating?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The problem with Vista?s security implementation is that lots of warning
> | dialog boxes don't provide security. Users get frustrated and eventually stop
> | reading them altogether. They think of them as annoyances, an extra click
> | required to get a feature to work. Is Windows Vista really more secure than
> | the operating systems that preceded it, or simply more frustrating? Since
> | Microsoft left us with no choice but to buy a PC with Vista pre-installed,
> | we?re inevitably stuck with it. Let the frustration begin.
> `----
>
> http://www.theitarticles.com/windows-vista-secure-or-just-frustrating/264/

Actually, that's not quite true anymore, especially since
DELL is now pushing Ubuntu boxes, though one still has to
look a bit (as usual).

Of course it gets weirder.  The newest thing on DELL's
site, apparently, is something called "Vostro", a line of
cheap notebooks and towers.  Unfortunately, they're running
Windows only.  Genuine Windows XP or Vista -- pick one.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/topics/en/vostro_landing?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Caveat emptor.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.