Re: [News] IBM Opens Up Patents Warchest for Open Source, MySQL IPO Explored

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> IBM Pledges Free Access to Patents Involved in Implementing 150+ Software
> Standards
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | IBM today announced that it is granting universal and perpetual access to
> | certain intellectual property that might be necessary to implement more than
> | 150 standards designed to make software interoperable.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070711/0276035.html
>
> An open source skeptic's take:
>
> MySQL's Planned IPO: OSS Buzz Isn't Enough
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Red Hat’s timing was excellent. This was true from a product/market
> | perspective. What Red Hat wanted to do was essentially get users to migrate
> | from a moribund Unix market made up of that IT Top 12 group of suppliers, not
> | counting Microsoft, who were backing off their support of Unix.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070711/40693_id.html?.v=1

Isn't IBM's action another repetition of many previous generous
instances of opening up their massive portfolio to the FOSS movement?

I mean, IBM has won some serious money from Microsoft for the
infringement of IBM IP by Microsoft in the past!

Remember that IBM invests $1 Billion annually in the development of
GNU/Linux, and, don't worry, IBM earns it from their large array of
stable, fast, competent products!

Even Microsoft runs FOSS, with licensed and unlicensed code embedded in
Win95, Win98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and Vista, as is acknowledged in their
copyright and trademark preambles to each, and in the royalty lawsuits
lost in 2005 to all the Universities and JPL.

Hotmail.com runs on FreeBSD servers, while Microsoft.com runs behind and
on 15,000 Akamai Linux servers.  All Aruba leased routers that Microsoft
installed in replacement for the aging Cisco routers, run GNU/Linux.

Microsoft runs hundreds of GNU/Linux machines, under VP Hilf, in their
'linux labs'.  Yes, some are used for development.

The frustrating aspect for many of the 75,000 Microsoft employees is
that the Public Relations and Marketing departments don't let out the
facts in any news releases.

Most of the above info is from reported interviews of executives of
Microsoft.

A simple google search usually pulls them up.