[News] Green Party Shows Support for Linux and Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Green Party Shows Support for Linux and Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:16:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Member of Parliament Patrick Harvie Talks to KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| In answering a question about how we can use the political process more he
| describes how Microsoft had a government conference in the Scottish
| Parliament on the day of Windows Vista's launch. There Bill Gates could tell
| governments that Windows is the norm. He tried to organise a counter
| conference on the same day but there was no room. However such an event could
| be organised in parliament and he says MSPs and civil servants would turn up.
|
| Asked about use in education he said it was utterly wrong to teach children
| there is only one product in the market. However schools are very reluctant
| to even give use of a different browser. In education he thinks school
| children should have at least one experience of collaborating on free
| software.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1184072113/

Related:

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Green Party slams Microsoft OLPC involvement

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft wants to restrict the greatest profits in the knowledge economy
| to already established software corporations like itself.
|
| "By installing its programs on these laptops Microsoft hopes to create
| market domination and vendor lock in. That is unacceptable bribery.
`----

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2170267/update-green-party-labels

Tories want open source Whitehall:

,----[ Quote ]
| The government could save more than £600 million a year if
| it used more open source software, the shadow chancellor has
| estimated.
|
| George Osborne said the savings would cut 5% off Whitehall's
| annual IT bill.
|
| He called for a more "level playing field" for all software
| companies, and urged "cultural change" in government.

The [UK] politics of open source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/07/the_politics_of.html