Re: Groklaw: Grandpa gets a Dell 530N computer

____/ John Locke on Tuesday 31 July 2007 02:00 : \____

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:21:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>____/ Oldtech on Monday 30 July 2007 22:37 : \____
>>
>>> with Feisty Fawn pre-installed.  Discusses personal settings on the new
>>> system, and there are hundreds of comments, and tips for users, in those
>>> links to URLS for blogs and scripts...
>>>
>>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070725085521830
>>
>>Microsoft is losing major customers. The customers are OEMs. They will soon
>>lose one of their biggest customers -- H-P.
> It looks like HP is about to make a move:
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3637927999.html
> ..and there are rumors that the Linux units from Dell are selling
> extremely well.
>
> ..and then there's Lenova.
>
> ..and of course there's Acer and we know by now they have no love
> for Microsoft.
>
> If these four companies get serious about Linux, (and it looks like Dell
> is doing just that) it will bring much needed exposure to Linux
> in the mainstream desktop markets. It appears that Linux is about
> to arrive.

Also include Epson and Toshiba. Epson has a whole bunch of Linux notebook and
desktop PCs. Toshiba seems to be planning to introduce these too (one region
at a time, in order to test demand). There are many smaller vendors that do
this, but H-P would be another diamond in the crown.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
Swap:  1510068k total,   613584k used,   896484k free,    59476k cached