[News] Linux and Businesses Harmonise

"Linux Experience" Follow Up: It's All About Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Using Linux, no matter what the distribution/flavor, allows for data to be
| migrated to just about any application. I’m not a programmer (my education is
| in business management with a technology focus) and I don’t pretend to
| understand the intricacies of Linux or any other operating system. As I said
| before, I just know how to research information and follow directions.
|
| [...]
|
| In the next three years, I see a couple of things happening:
|
|     * More companies will move to using open data standards
|     * Competition among software vendors will shift to busines
|        process support or business process modeling
`----

http://www.5thwind.com/?p=14

Related:

SugarCRM's Sweet Taste of Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| The software provider's adoption of the latest version of the GNU General
| Public License is a ringing endorsement of the free software movement's
| charter
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc20070726_089940.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

The Viral Clause [in GPL]

,----[ Quote ]
| Paradoxically, the viral clause, the part of the GPL licensing framework
| that so many people objected to because it wasn't business friendly, made
| the license business friendly - in the future, a license that liberates
| business from the drug of DRM and the prison of software patents may
| turn out to have been equally prescient and business friendly...
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/246

Alfresco: Competing in the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Has the move to GPL for Alfresco been a positive experience?
|
| It's been a very positive experience. We saw a pretty healthy uptick in terms
| of new contributions coming into the Alfresco community moving to GPL. It has
| also helped to simplify the perception of Alfresco in terms of is it really
| open source or not. It also probably helped to simplify our OEM business, as
| well, which is a healthy piece of business.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3690201

Two principles of successful open source businesses

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/two_principles.html