Re: [sclug] Defective by Design - BBC London Protest - August 14th (also, Manchester?)

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, ed belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:46:43 +0100, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> I've decided to ignore all of this TV web crap. Besides, I have my
>>> Fawlty Towers, Black Adder and Red Dwarf DVDs. Now there was some
>>> REAL TV programming back when the BBC had great heart.
>>
>> You probably shouldn't ignore this topic. The beeb are planing on some
>> drastic changes, such as phasing out the TV licence and introducing a
>> computer licence. This came from their studies of the number of people
>> who watched the Olympic games via the web.
>
> And you brits tell us that America is losing its freedom!

I think that most places are at the moment...  the raft of so-called
"anti-terror" (ie., anti-terrorism) laws which were passed recently here
contain the most incredible reductions in freedom.  We have government
contemplating increasing the time which suspects can be held without
charge to something well beyond the current 28 days, to more like 56 days.
Similarly, not that long ago, the right to remain silent was, whilst not
eliminated, certainly eroded.

> And -- get this -- Microsoft, IIRC, is working on video distribution
> services in Europe.

Has been for some time, indeed, it's done deals with several Telcos in
the EU and the US.

> Those darn public airwaves!  You just can't control 'em!  Anybody can
> watch 'em!  Without paying per view!  They're taking food off our
> plates!

Quite!