[News] Red Hat Enterprise Linux Gets New EPEL Repos

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Enterprise Linux Gets New EPEL Repos
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:53:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Red Hat Launches New Package Repository for Enterprise Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Every user and admin has experienced at least one desired package not being
| included and supported in RHEL. This project gives you a place to promote,
| support, and benefit from packages that exist in Fedora and were not included
| in a RHEL version.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/application/10941/red-hat-launches-new-package-repository-enterprise-linux

Recent:

First rpm.org-RPM version released

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the first version of rpm.org’s RPM tool was released. While it is
| only a minor version (4.4.2.1) this release is a milestones because it is a
| coordinated release between the participating distributions.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/first-rpmorg-rpm-version-released/

Related:

RPM Package Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the home of the official RPM Package Manager (RPM) code base!
`----

http://rpm5.org/

Install .rpm Files in Debian and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Some time you might find some applications are having only .rpm files but
| you want a .deb package for your debian,Ubuntu and other debian derived
| ditributions.If you can?t find .deb debian package in any of the
| debian,ubuntu repositories or elsewhere, you can use the alien
| package converter  to install the .rpm file.
|
| Alien is a program that converts between the rpm, dpkg, stampede slp,
| and slackware tgz file formats. If you want to use a package from
| another distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you
| can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install
| it.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/install-rpm-files-in-debian-and-ubuntu.html

Fedora Project to Help Revitalize RPM

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora Project has announced plans to revitalize RPM, the package
| manager used by many Linux distros.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/15/040258&from=rss

The future of RPM