Re: [News] Review of Mandriva 2007 Praises No-brainer 3-D Desktop Setup

On 2007-07-29, Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> [snips]
>
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:49:22 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:
>
>> I know that everyone raves about Ubuntu but I prefer Mandriva. I have
>> installed Ubuntu on my development system but for general use Mandriva is
>> far and away the dest distro I have used.
>
> I've used Mandriva and I rather liked it - except for it being an
> RPM-based distro,  Never again, unless forced to more or less at gun
> point, will I ever use an RPM-based distro.  Make Mandriva deb-based,
> sitting atop Debian's packages, and I'll happily give it a whirl.

I don't mind RPM-based. I play with PCLinuxOS. I've played with CentOS.
Even SuSE was in my library until they decided they liked MS and money
more than like. And I grew up with Redhat.

I've had too many troubles with Mandrake/driva, some of whch I've
cataloged here before. Specifically, the last 3 or 4 times I tried to
install it I had to wait endlessly for all of USB to be probed, do one
operation, go back to the part where the USB would be probed for what
seemd like hours, make another change, wait for USB, change something
else, etc. Even when I dropped everything to one keyboard, one mouse
and one external drive, it expended an eternity each step of the way,
checking USB devices, over and over and over again.

I don't want to spend hours just making simple changes before the
install itself really gets started. I'm not old, but I'm too old for
that.

--
When you become dead, you join a very large organization.