Re: [News] Review of Mandriva 2007 Praises No-brainer 3-D Desktop Setup

[snips]

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:53:12 -0500, AB wrote:

> I don't mind RPM-based. I play with PCLinuxOS. I've played with CentOS.
> Even SuSE was in my library until they decided they liked MS and money
> more than like. And I grew up with Redhat.

Dunno... as I said elsewhere, I've had RPM eat itself completely during
upgrades; that it is so poorly engineered that this can happen at all just
doesn't make me want to take the risk anymore.

> I've had too many troubles with Mandrake/driva, some of whch I've
> cataloged here before. Specifically, the last 3 or 4 times I tried to
> install it I had to wait endlessly for all of USB to be probed, do one
> operation, go back to the part where the USB would be probed for what
> seemd like hours, make another change, wait for USB, change something
> else, etc. Even when I dropped everything to one keyboard, one mouse
> and one external drive, it expended an eternity each step of the way,
> checking USB devices, over and over and over again.

Blech.

Can't say I've had those issues.  One thing I've found somewhat amusing,
though, is FC; I have *never* had a fault-free install of it and most
attempts fail completely before getting the OS installed.  It's the only
distro I've used (or tried to) where simply installing it is nigh-on
impossible.  Others - PCLos and Ubuntu, for example - install flawlessly
on the exact same machines, so it's not a "Linux" issue per se.

Not that this has anything to do with RPM. :)