Re: Digg spurns Google for young Microsoft ..

On 2007-07-29, [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's one:
>
> http://slated.org/the_munchkins_are_back
>
> And another:
>
> http://slated.org/yankee_shill_exposed
>
> IMHO waterskidoo needs to do a Hell of a lot more research before
> denouncing the existence of these Shills.

I'm not denouncing the existence of shills, I am saying that
the number of shills, as in work for money shills, is far less
than I hear about in this group.
IOW it seems that the second a person posts a couple of messages
that are not Linux positive, they are labled a shill and the
accusations about them being paid by Microsoft of whomever
start flying.
This is wrong.

> The fundamental issue remains, that in the absence of any rational
> explanation as to why anyone would sabotage a newsgroup, poison a Blog,
> or submit suspiciously biased anti-Linux news articles; one is naturally
> inclined to question the motive, and I cannot conceive of any rational
> motive other than remuneration.

The motive is usually attention. These people need/want/crave attention.

> By promoting a commercial entity, or sabotaging its competition, a Shill
> *may* be financially rewarded ... but what possible financial rewards
> could a so-called "Linux zealot" receive for promoting the Free Software
> community?

By shill I mean a person working for the competitor, put in place to
*shill* the product.
That's the context I am using.

> Like I said, it's about motive. If waterskidoo can figure that one out,
> then he has his answer.
        ^^^^^^^^
'she has her'

Exactly, and the motive of MOST of these people is not financial.
The number of real shills, paid shills, shills working for
Microsoft or Windows software companies is no where near
the quantity that some Linux advocates are alluding to.

The way some of you guys talk, it's like there is a Windows
shill around every corner waiting to drop a BSOD on your
heads.
That's called paranoia BTW and it's not the case.
The majority of these people are looking to light you guys
up and it appears to working very well, unfortunately.