Re: [OT] Thunderbird plugins: Mail User Agent

____/ ml2mst on Sunday 29 July 2007 05:33 : \____

> Robert schreef:
>> ml2mst wrote:
>>
>>> As you can see I am a GNU/Linux user, using Mozilla Thunderbird as my
>>> email and news client. The great thing about Mozilla Thunderbird is that
>>> it supports a bunch of so called plugins, which IMHO are very useful to
>>> read COLA.
>>>
>>> One of the most useful plugins is the so called Mail User Agent, which
>>> gives you a indication of what News client a poster uses.
>>>
>>> For 99,9% the Mail User Agent plugin is reliable, because 99,9% of
>>> Outlook and Outlook express users are trolls in this NG. In COLA only
>>> one person using Outlook is a non troll (Oldtech I think) the rest of
>>> them are rubbish.
>>>
>>> However, just take care, because the Mail User Agent plugin shows that
>>> Hadron Quark is using Emacs as his news client. Emacs however has been
>>> ported to almost every Operating System, including Windows. Hadron
>>> always used misleading tactics like this, to fool the group (nothing new
>>> here).
>>>
>>> If you are new to COLA and GNU/Linux, the Mail User Agent plugin for
>>> Mozilla Thunderbird can help you to distinct the trolls from reliable
>>> posters.
>>>
>>> Don't let them fool you!
>>
>> KNode can be configured to show the mail user agent, path, nntp posting
>> host, as well as every header that is available on the nntp server that you
>> use.
>> KNode has a pretty effective killfile option by using the "scoring" system.
>> however, it is kind of daunting to set it up to kill file individuals,
>> however, once properly set up, you will never see post from the idiots
>> again. if they nymshift, all it takes is a keystroke to lower the score for
>> the trolls post.
>> the instructions to set it up are in the help files.
>
> Thanks for the useful informations, since Knode is installed by default
> on my current distribution, I will give it a try. I've had some good
> experience with Knode in the past and it seems to be pretty popular
> amongst most GNU/Linux NG's

KNode doesn't produce images (icons) of mail clients, unlike the extension that
the OP mentions. The same goes for routes. Thunderbird can be extneded to have
a /HUGE/ level of function, even without conflicts.

With Thunderbird destined to less maintenance, however, maybe KNode would be
worth a try. It's moving fast (development-wise). I recently upgraded and it's
definitely my #1 Linux killer app.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything