[News] Governments Continue to Eliminate Basic Freedoms

  • Subject: [News] Governments Continue to Eliminate Basic Freedoms
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 04:08:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Report warns against too many 'Net rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Kazakhstan and Georgia are among countries imposing excessive restrictions on
| how people use the Internet, a new report says, warning that regulations are
| having a chilling effect on freedom of expression.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070727/ap_on_hi_te/internet_restrictions

Yesterday it was reported that they will have Net/state-wide filters on
content.

Wikipedia and the Intelligence Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Salinger came to believe that [first name redacted but known to be Linda] was
| working for [name of intelligence agency redacted but known to be Britain's
| MI5] and had been from the beginning; assigned genuinely to investigate Pan
| Am 103, but also to infiltrate and monitor us.
`----

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?no=374006&rel_no=1

Linux powers Web sites and radio stations that would otherwise be muted,
bankrupt. It's the route to equal voice, free speech, and parity. Look how
blogs kill the media and Web sites cannibalise their paper-form legacy.

Related:

Open Source Radio is A Sound Salvation

,----[ Quote ]
| The song sharply criticizes the commercialization of mainstream
| radio ("They;re saying things that I can hardly believe") and one
| can only imagine the shock NBC executives experienced that night
| considering their radio station was the very sort Costello
| condemned. Performing "Radio Radio" without warning at SNL got
| Costello banned from the show for 12 years.
|
| [...]
|
| But new media and technology is finally reversing the trend of putting
| "the radio in the hands of such a lot of fools tryin' to anaesthetize
| the way that you feel," as Costello would put it.
`----

http://www.newassignment.net/blog/bess_kargman/feb2007/01/open_source_radi

Open source Campcaster empowers independent radio broadcasters

http://community.linux.com/community/07/01/19/1955221.shtml?tid=11&tid=49

Radio goes the open source route

Linux radio suite powers independent broadcasters

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1314