Re: Schestowitz keep posting

____/ alt on Friday 27 July 2007 07:46 : \____

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:50:41 +0000, Linonut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, NoStop belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Geez Hadron, surely you can come up with a better argument than that. :-)
>>> It's not like thousands read this ng. And like you said only 2% of this low
>>> number bother to read his posts. So what kind of loss of advertising
>>> revenue are you losing sleep over? Besides, my web browser has an extension
>>> loaded that turns off ads. Doesn't yours?
>>
>> Hadron's talking boolshit anyway.  First, most of us wouldn't find the
>> articles.  Second, Roy's making a hit.  Third, his summaries often draw
>> us to read the original, thus giving the site hits they wouldn't
>> otherwise get.
>>
>> Oh, and turn off your ad blocker.  You are depriving corporations of
>> revenue that is rightfully theirs.  You are taking food from their
>> mouths.
>>
>>    "Those people are not going to be allowed to take food off of our
>>    plate, because that is what they are intending to do," he said.
>>
>>                        -- Microsoft COO on Google re enterprise search
>>

> I do block some types of advertising. Any time I get a pop-up, that
> ad's domain/sub-domain and/or sub-directory gets blocked. There is no
> excuse for pop-ups. I routinely block flash-adverts. They are completely
> unnecessary and use up my CPU resources. The latest types of ads I block I
> those roll-over ads. I use my mouse pointer to keep my place when reading.
> Those ads disrupt my reading.
>
> There is one other case that I will not tolerate and that is a page that
> has so many ads that I cannot read it. I block those too. There is a limit
> to what I am willing to "pay" for.

Microsoft has begun animating their "Get the Facts" ads (animated GIFs), which
is hugely distracting. It has invaded new Linux sites, including LinuxWorld
where every page has not one but two _LARGE_ ladder-type ads. They are
animated.

I sometimes have to use my hand just to block the ads (one at the top
(landscape) and one vertical (ladder)) just be able to read the text with deep
focus. The language used is stronger now... things like "McSoft does NOT play
with LINUX". While I block ads excessively in Mozilla Firefox, my feeds reader
absorbs all the propaganda, including Microsoft's Big Lie. I can only imagine
what people see when they surf the Web and reach Web sites after searching
for "linux" something. Not all of them have prior knowledge about these ads,
which recently I found out are actually _BANNED_ in the UK because they are
false advertising.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")