Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Linux Addresses Needs of the Visually Impaired (was: [News] Linux Addresses Needs of the Visually Impaired)

____/ John Locke on Friday 27 July 2007 03:09 : \____

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:43:13 -0500, "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>>> As is often the case, Roy once again lies in his subject line.  In
>>> this cease, Linux was used to address some of the needs of the
>>> visually impaired, that does not mean that Linux *IN GENERAL*
>>> addresses all the needs of the visual impaired, as the headline
>>> suggests.
>>>
>>> Why do you feel it is so important to twist every headline to mean
>>> something that the article doesn't say Roy?
>>
>>'Cause he's Roy 'Lying Spamming Idiot' Schestowitz,
> That's not nice.
>>and he thinks the >visually-impaired will see his headline and believe Linux
>>is for them...
> He didn't say that.
>>whoops, nobody told Roy the visually-impaired don't read cola.
> Yes they do.

About 6 months ago, Microsoft used the accessibility FUD (and "blind" argument)
to get MA scared of OpenDocument format. As the OP (and especially the related
links) indicate, open source and Linux clearly thrive in a symbiotic
relationship with the blind and the visually impaired. My KDE setup even
prompts me to enable some accessibility features if I accidentally hold down
the wrong keys (gestures).

The old and tired FUD about Linux being immature and unable to handle the needs
of the impaired must end. Groklaw tries to make the very same argument,
particularly in News Picks. Accessibility has been (for quite _some time_) one
of Microsoft's Big Lies about Linux and Free software.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed