Re: [News] Youngster Moves to Linux, Windows Loses Appeal Because of Vista

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 25 July 2007 13:44 : \____

>> ____/ John Locke on Tuesday 24 July 2007 17:19 : \____

>>>  Good point. And HP also.
>>
>> The best is yet to come. H-P and Toshiba (even Lenovo) are not yet doing it
>> at the same level of capacity as Dell. There are many other shops that do
>> this, with another product/OEM joining with a model every coupla days. You
>> could probably say that 2007 was the year when Linux was made available on
>> the desktop from all major OEMs.
>>
>> As expected, hardware support (from the manufacturer's side) improves as a
>> result. Only 2 days ago, Dell /pressured/ ATI (AMD) to get its act together.
>>

> I suspect it doesn't take that much pressure;  the chip manufacturers
> are just as dependent on computer sales as the computer manufacturers
> are.  Since nobody (apart, perhaps, from some dinosaur CIO types) wants
> Vista, then Linux is the clear next step in getting some sales.  Having
> open-source drivers is really pretty much essential to maintaining
> Linux's excellent record of stability, openness and resistance to
> attack.

Speaking of resistance, there is a lot of it working against Linux. AV software
vendors, hardware manufacturers, shops... Linux adoption could lead to a
recession, but one that benefits the environment (I was never a fan of waste
and reinvention off the wheel anyway). Code reuse also has an impact on the
programming profession. Yet..! People would share more code, so science as a
whole would move more quickly. There's too much isolation in industry despite
the high-speed and ubiquitous connectivity. What a loss. What a waste. We
could be decades ahead by now. Microsoft never helped, either.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
Swap:  1510068k total,   114312k used,  1395756k free,   109680k cached