Re: The Old PCs That Modern Linux Still Runs on....

dapunka wrote:

> A while ago I was given an old laptop - I think it had Pentium 3, its
> RAM was 128MB and the HDD was 6 whole GB!  Whoo!  It sported a "made
> for Windows 98" badge - true cutting edge tech, right?
>
> Anyway, I wiped the hard disk, and installed Ubuntu Breezy (the
> current version at the time).  And okay, some apps (OOo especially)
> crawled or just repeadedly crashed.  So I installed the xubuntu-
> desktop, used abiword for my word processing chores, and the machine
> fared fine til I dropped a cup of coffee on it.

I was given an old Pentium 3 (box only, no video). It runs at only 451MHz,
and like yours, has 128MB ram and also with a 6 G HDD. I don't stress the
machine by using it as a desktop.

It is my router/firewall/http-proxy/time-server/dhcp-daemon/wireless-AP
machine. The only thing I did to it was throw in a faster CDRW and 3
network cards (one wifi). It stays running for months between reboots.

It runs Gentoo stable updating twice weekly. This penguin has been running
for a few years now, only being rebooted when there's been a kernel
upgrade. I love my headless Gentoo penguin. The only time I feel sorry for
it is when it is compiling a new gcc compiler. I really should get distcc
and crossdev up and running properly, so as to reduce the time it takes to
update the old pentium 3 by compiling its updates on my 2.6GHz Pentium4.
It's one of those jobs I've got on the back burner.

It's a lot of fun!

--
Regards,

Gregory.