Re: [News] The Evolution of Anti-OLPC FUD (Anti-Humanitarian Causes)

> Controversy Swirls around OLPC Project
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| However, it now appears that Intel has realized that it's better policy (and
>| better public relations) to work with projects like the OLPC rather than
>| against them. In fact, on July 13 it was announced that Intel is joining the
>| board of the OLPC and will be supporting its efforts to spread low-cost
>| computing to children.
>|
>| With this news, it seemed as if the OLPC had proved its intentions and could
>| finally get on with deploying its XO laptops in developing countries.
>| However, right about the same time, another titan of old-school computing
>| decided to take a few shots at the OLPC and the low-cost XO.
> `----

This bit is particularly choice:

	Barrett then seemed to show that he can't tell the difference
	between humanitarian effort and business as usual when he
	confirmed the existence of the documents, saying, "Someone at
	Intel was comparing the Classmate PC with another device being
	offered in the marketplace. That's the way our business works."

Which aligns well with the remark I've made a couple of times here
recently, which is essentially that ... so long as a profit is being made,
then children starving doesn't matter...

It would appear that the kind of socially divisive capitalism which has
personified the development of the computing industry during the
Microsoft era is drawing to a close, with a more socially aware
developmental model replacing it.  This is critical for several reasons,
not least of which being the energy shortages and global warming sure
to characterise the remaining noughties and teens, before we get to
another set of "roaring twenties".