Re: OT: Email relay question...

____/ megan on Sunday 22 July 2007 08:24 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ____/ megan on Sunday 22 July 2007 07:39 : \____

>>> Well, I surprised myself and found a hack to get around it.  I don't
>>> want to post it because I am afraid AT&T will block it (after all they
>>> are targeting "piracy" and starting to filter content on their network,
>>> so you can't be too careful here).
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help though!
>>>
>>> (I trust this post is more in line with acceptable netiquette
>>> guidelines. - BTW, Thunderbird seems to work fine on this Vista Ultimate
>>> 32 bit PC.)
>>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>>
>>> megan
>>
>> It's very well-formatted now. Much better! :-) I notice that you have
>> Thunderbird installed. Don't forget to explore themes and extensions that
>> make it extremely powerful.
>>

> While I have your ear....  I don't see how to make watched threads show
> up at the top of my date-sorted messages.
>
> Although Windows Mail is a netiquette whore, I do like the simple
> interface and the ease of following threads.
>
> Also, is there any way to group newsgroups and send messages to this
> newsgroup group?  Windows Mail/Outook Express/Outlook doesn't have this
> feature, but I think it (and a couple of other features I don't see
> anywhere else) could be so useful that I have even thought of writing my
> own SIMPLE newsgroup client.

Thunderbird is not the most sophisticated newsgroup client (the same goes for
RSS), but I still use it for mailing lists, which are similar (been manageing
them in Horde for years, but it was slow). If you intend to participate in
busy newsgroups, consider something like KNode (KDE required) or maybe even
Pan. Windows has its own powerful newsreaders (third party, of course), but
they are not cross platform and I am not sure they are all actively maintained
(making it a risky investment in terms of skills).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
Tasks: 114 total,   1 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie