Re: McAfee talks up virus threat ..

__/ [ ml2mst ] on Saturday 09 June 2007 22:17 \__

> On 9 jun, 21:06, Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "We anticipate seeing, in the next 18 to 24 months, more threats and
>> more challenges, than we actually had in the last 20 years combined,"
>>
>> http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0609biz-mc...
>
> Please don't get me wrong Doug, I'm not attacking you, but I don't
> really get the purpose of your virus messages. Are these supposed to
> be rants or humor ;-)
>
> I think there's simply no market for Symantec, McAfee & Co on GNU/
> Linux.
>
> Their software might be interesting if you've got a couple of Windows
> clients connected to a GNU/Linux server. However if you are
> exclusively using GNU/Linux, this software makes no sense.
>
> Believe me, I've tried several anti virus packages on GNU/Linux and
> came to the conclusion that it's nothing but a waste of time and
> resources :-)
>
> I'm "afraid" GNU/Linux won't be exposed to malware any day soon. All I
> do is frequently check for rootkits and lurk my Snort log.
>
> Viruses? what the heck are viruses?

The biological term of that which refers to self-replicating malicious
programs, which are most prevalent where an operating platform lacks the
notion of binary /trust/ and privileges (strapping some stuff on top doesn't
count).

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
roy      pts/8                         Sat Jun  9 10:55 - 10:56  (00:00)