Re: Shuttleworth on MS racketeering ..

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 09 June 2007 17:32 \__

>> I think SJVN did this too, but his voice doesn't equate to that of Mark,
>> which the media seems increasingly fascinated with (probably in a good
>> way, unlike RMS for example).
>
> Which is probably another reason Shuttleworth conceded that "[Microsoft
> is] not an evil empire", so that he doesn't immediately alienate himself
> from the MS faithful, like RMS has. Still, I would have thought the
> "racketeering" comment killed that. Maybe he just felt like he'd
> overstepped that mark, and attempted a retraction with a tongue-in-cheek
> comment.

Good point. I never thought about this.

I saw some sutble reMarks like these before. The flip-flopping,
self-balancing arguments... but he made it clear when he spoke to Matt Asay
in London... he's no fool and he knows what Microsoft is up to... I don't
think cash (bribery) will easily persuade a multi-millionare, either.

Speaking of RMS, when he said/mentioned/implicitly suggested that proprietary
software is evil (in some public talk I think), a lobbyist from CompTIA
(Microsoft mouthpiece in disguise) attacked him in the press for this. It's
also disturbing to see how Forbes turned a scientific joke about making love
to a flower into a serious accusation and hinting towards madness (Dan
Lyons). They don't just try to portray him as a 'rebel', but they try to rob
him of any credibility. How come they don't criticise Sweaty? Oh, wait. He
controls where money flows. The suits love that.

Watch the press carefully. Journalists are dying because of the Net, so you
can see who they suck up to in order to sustain cashflow and fame. Some are
just trolling Linux for traffic.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S