Re: What's BSD going to do?

__/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 09 June 2007 13:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> __/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 09 June 2007 12:32 \__
>
>>> Guy Fawkes <spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>>
>>> Erm...
>>> BSD doesn't use GPL
>>> They use BSD
>
>> Could they ever do what Sun appears to be doing? Could they (one day, in a
>> galaxy far, far way) consider GPLv3? Some of them are betrayed by some
>> large companies that take but never give back. Speaking of which, Apple
>> will have ZFS in its O/S... that's Sun, so a transitive inference here
>> closes a circle.
>
> But BSD licensed code has always been exploited thus.
> We wouldn't have an internet without their network stack.
>
>> The GPL is a very scientific approach that encourages two-way
>> collaboration and attribution. There is a reason why science that's
>> BSD-like or proprietary-like does not get far.
>
> Yeah, and the BSD people see things as "we don't care if we get anything
> back". Some things just wouldn't've been workable with anything BUT a
> "DGAS" license. (DGAS=don't give a shit, as in, so what you want as long as
> you keep the relevant attribution)
>
> General infrastructure required totally open code and specs.

What happens when your own code evolves to doom your existence and lead to
extinction? GPLv3, for example, closes such a loophole. BSD has it
incorporated by design. A few days ago, someone who lurks in COLA had an
off-list discussion with me about this. I still think that BSD offers too
little in return (for the developer, not the industry). I would need
permission to actually quote that discussion.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
Swap:  1036184k total,   727012k used,   309172k free,    24296k cached