Re: BBC's Click Online focuses on Open Source

__/ [ p5000011 ] on Saturday 09 June 2007 12:34 \__

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 11:57:44 +0100, William Poaster wrote:
>
>> "Free. It is not something Western culture does particularly
>> well. It is certainly not something that features big in the plans
>> of the millionaires at Microsoft, Apple and Intel - to name but a
>> few.
>>
>> This week we take a look at the open source operating system Linux
>> and make a few software recommendations."
>>
>> Ubuntu, OpenOffice & Firefox are amongst their recommendations.
>>
>> "........Linux is finally looking like a very serious alterative to
>> Windows and OS X."
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6733501.stm
>
> Nice article. I'm sure the quirk will appreciate these bits:
>
> || And from that acorn did many versions of Linux grow - up to 300. Each
> || flavour is called a distro (short for distribution) and is a version
> || prepared for a different purpose or a particular type of user.

> || "So what you are seeing is just a function of Open Source, the fact
> || that there are a number of front ends out there, that's because
> || organisations have felt the need to go out and develop that.
> || "That's all about choice, it's about organisations allowing the end
> || user to choose what their front end looks like."

Distributions like Fedora and PCLOS (to name just the popular ones) enable
people to create many more personalised distros with just the click of the
mouse. Have a look at this new article.

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/06/07/2044243&tid=8&tid=51

Vista has far more limited features and it does not boast multiple desktop
environments, to name just one deficiency. There is also a distribution
limit (WGA).

Surely, the Linux way is the way of the future. Microsoft also plays catch-up
in the Live CD/USB pen dept.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie