[News] [Rival] Windows Malware Gets More Sophisticated

Web hacks using 'evasive' techniques

| The malicious code on the host website accesses a database
| of IP addresses to determine whether to serve up
| malware or legitimate content.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39287357,00.htm

This is another reason why AV software becomes ineffective (see below). Linux
does not have such problems.

Related:

Predicting the demise of antivirus apps

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's the beginning of the end for antivirus," says Robin Bloor, partner
| at consulting firm Hurwitz & Associates, who adds he began his
| "antivirus is dead" campaign a year ago and feels even more strongly
| about it today. "I'm going to keep beating this drum. The approach
| antivirus vendors take is completely wrong. The criminals working to
| release these viruses against computer users are testing against
| antivirus software. They know what works and how to create variants."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/mgmt/0047A206FF40A92ECC2572C3000FD867

Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed

,----[ Quote ]