Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft Punished More Severely Than Novell

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Friday 08 June 2007 01:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft-Novell Plan May Backfire [GNU and FSF News for June 2007]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | For this to happen a Microsoft distributed Novell SLES coupon has to
>> | be used after at least one program licensed with the GPLv3 is
>> | included in the Novell SLES distro. So far Novell says they will
>> | include GPLv3 software in SLES. Microsoft, on the other hand,
>> | seems to realize their mistake.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.advogato.org/article/934.html
>>
>> Open Source Community to Microsoft: Bring It On
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft's business strategy is the equivalent of "don't buy his
>> | products or something bad will happen -- but we won't tell you
>> | what." In other words, it shows less sophistication than the
>> | average playground ruse. Nevertheless, it was enough for Novell
>> | -- responsible for the popular Suse distribution of Linux -- to
>> | enter last year into a mutual covenant not to sue over patent
>> | infringements.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/57709.html
>
> Microsoft can take a LONG WALK off a short pier. Who cares about THEM...
> The wold will suffer for a while, after microsoft is gone, but the long
> term gains will seem like heaven...
>
> May they rot in hell and never rise above...

Rest assured, all that FUD you're seeing at the moment has /NO/ effect on
CIOs, some of whom would encourage the use of more FOSS/Linux just for
spite.

Sun's CEO has already lashed out at Microsoft. Ever since (last week),
MySQL's CEO lashed out at them as well. They buy themselves enemies. It's a
PR disaster.

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm stunned that after taking a number of seemingly positive steps
| vis-a-vis its thinking and strategy around open source, Microsoft has
| decided to blow away any bridges it built in a matter of weeks," long
| time Microsoft pundit Mary Jo Foley opined.
|
| She noted that Microsoft's threat to sue had backfired, and pointed
| to a website that lists over 300 open-source supporters that are
| openly asking Microsoft to sue them over alleged patent infringement.
|
| Microsoft is now in a tough predicament. Either it must stick to its
| guns, or attempt to back off and sweep what could become a public
| relations disaster under the rug.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Steps_Up_OpenSource_Battle/1179859754

With the GPLv3 around the corner (and growing acceptance of it), I wonder how
many people at Microsoft have regrets about their plans. Regardless, they
have to stick to it. Too late to change course...

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
  3:20am  up 40 days 11:42,  9 users,  load average: 1.73, 0.94, 0.95