Re: [News] [OSS] Open Source Gains Corporate Funding, Named a Revolution

__/ [ Nerdwizard ] on Friday 08 June 2007 01:27 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Google man proclaims "Summer of Code"
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This year, Google is funding 917 students to work in 131 organisations
>> | on open source projects. Each student gets $500 on acceptance, $2,000
>> | midway, and $2,000 for finishing. The UK has the fourth largest group
>> | of students.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40126
>>
>> Viva la [Open Source] Revolucion!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Sometimes I forget about how great this community is for free
>> | software of all types. The whole idea was first brought to the
>> | consumer table by some of the key folks who created the
>> | Netscape Navigator browser in the 1990s.
>> `----
>>
>> http://new.savannahnow.com/node/300306
>
> No knowledge in the media, concerning FreeBSD, 386BSD, BerkeleyUC,
> Richard F Stallman and the Free GNU software movement, that was extant
> in 1984?

...Exactly what I thought. Perhaps one could argue that Oracle's support,
IBM, Netscape and some other key events/players brought Linux and open
source to the attention of a wider audience.

http://www.levenez.com/unix/

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages