Re: [News] [Rival] Company Stuck Due to Microsoft Patent Deal, Another Loss for Software Patents

> Timeline: Court rules Microsoft patent deal can't be terminated
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Timeline Inc. said a U.S court has ruled that the company's patent
>| agreement with Microsoft Corp. cannot be terminated, and that
>| Timeline's remedy for any alleged breaches would be to seek damages.
> `----
>
> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070604:MTFH22685_2007-06-04_10-54-25_WNAS3019&type=comktNews&rpc=44
> http://tinyurl.com/2xb83a
>
> Raytheon inventions are programs and not patentable
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The High Court has backed the Comptroller General of Patents in refusing
>| a company a patent for inventions which were computer programs.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/04/raytheon_patent_denial/

Good.  Reaffirms the position - software cannot be patented.  No amount
of deals with Novell or Xandros or any other foolish company make any
difference - there is nothing to covenant against; indeed, should
Microsoft, Novell or Xandros offer any such "protection", I would
suggest that legal action be taken against them for making the
suggestion that it be needed outside NAFTA and Australia.