Re: Dell removes hardware warranty from Ubuntu ..

Jeanette <jrusso2@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Tuesday 05 June 2007 13:29 \__
>>
>>> 'When we "build" my Dell, there is no longer a Complete Care (tm) plan for
>>> Ubuntu'
>>>
>>> http://www.dellideastorm.com/article/show/67976
>>
>> It was Digg that "broke" the story, but it's not clear if it's true (no
>> official confirmation yet), I suppose.
>>
>> Many people jumped to conclusions *here*:
>>
>> ChangeLog: Run Linux, lose warranty
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | When she called Compaq -- the unit comes with a one-year warranty
>> | on the hardware -- they asked what operating system she was running.
>> | When she told them Linux, they said, "Sorry, we do not honor our
>> | hardware warranty when you run Linux." In order to get warranty
>> | service, she was told, she would have to remove Linux and
>> | reinstall the original OS.
>> `----
>>
>> http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/23/1430204&from=rss
>>
>> This turned out to be a mistake. MySQL suffered from similar mistakes
>> (conceding Debian binary-level support).
>>
>> Let's just wait and see what they say. with Dell joining the Microsoft deal,
>> many suspect that Microsoft hardens the OEM screws and demands 'Linux tax'.
>> Bear in mind that Microsoft takes a slice from Novell's (and Xadros) Linux
>> revenue and Dell's Linux PCs may be suspiciously
>> not-as-cheap-as-one-would-hope. The exclusion of Wine, followed by Novell's
>> *** disclosure *** SEC *** before long *** weekend ** which talks about Wine
>> separately **** sure makes you^H^H^H^H *** WONDER~1.
>
> Jeanette wrote:
>
> Here is someone with direct experience of this issue. He had Dell cancel
>   his order and his extended warranty.  Read what the Dell reps said was
> the reason

Interesting.  It would appear that Microsoft have worked very hard
indeed to pressurise Dell into offering something less for the linux
side.  The article referenced above is amazing - top quality FUD from
Dell.   I see no reason why anyone would want to buy any kind of PC at
all from Dell, if this is the way they intend to treat their customers.