Re: Vista market share put into perspective

__/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Monday 04 June 2007 13:44 \__

> There's a lot of jeering from wintrolls that Vista's marketshare continues
> to rise, in spite of the fact that it's not exactly everyone's favourite,
> according to even the most optimistic surveys.
>
> So, howcome Vista reached almost 4% market share in 4 months time? And,
> more importantly, is this an indication that Vista is really popular? The
> answer is amazingly simple: no, Vista is not popular at all, but there's
> simply nothing else on sale; going shopping for a new Windows PC means
> coming home with Vista in an estimated 90% of cases.
>
> Assuming that a Windows PC on average gets replaced after 4 years, every
> year, 25% of Windows PC's are replaced with new Windows PC's - say 2% per
> month.
>
> So based on this calculation, one would expect a Vista adoption rate of
> approximately two percent per month - which would mean that now, after
> being on sale for four months, Vista should have a market share of eight
> percent at least - and perhaps even nine or ten percent when taking an
> initial sales boost into account.
>
> The reality is quite different: the initial sales boost trumpeted by
> Microsoft mainly seems to consist of channel stuffing. And even with Vista
> now force-fed to buyers of new computers, the adoption rate is not even
> one percent per month - less than half the natural PC replacement rate,
> and there are no signs of Vista adoption speeding up yet.
>
> The explanation can only be that Vista isn't half as popular as those
> liar^H^H^H^Hmarketeers from Redmond and the wintrolls here want us to
> believe.
>
> So what is really going on? Most signs point into the direction of people
> putting off buying a Vista machine for the near future at least; this is
> also what I hear from the sales channels: they won't recommend Vista
> wholeheartedly, not unless most of the current problems are ironed out.
> And if this is already the case with consumers, businesses are far more
> wary and conservative. Most companies have a wait-and-see policy with
> regard to Vista, with the "wait" part being at least a year.
>
> Then, no doubt, quite a number of people won't buy a new Windows computer
> any more, and switch to a Mac or to Linux - I alone got five new Linux
> users who ditched Windows because they weren't impressed by Vista
> whatsoever.
>

> This was advanced Microsoft math class for today; back to the wintrolls
> who no doubt can cook up an explanation why 1% market share increase per
> month is a fantastic figure.

Lies, damn lies and statisitics. ComputerWorld debunks and address a lot of
these lies.

Nine burning questions about how Vista is really doing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9021838
http://tinyurl.com/2u6gzq

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
roy      pts/3                         Mon Jun  4 10:49 - 10:53  (00:04)