Re: [News] [Linux] Novell Denies That GPLv3 Cuts It, But Microsoft Penalised for Certain

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 02 June 2007 23:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> GPL 'Last Call Draft' Removes Language Threatening to Novell
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The provision to which Stallman refers now reads thus: "If, pursuant
>> | to or in connection with a single transaction or arrangement, you
>> | convey, or propagate by procuring conveyance of, a covered work,
>> | and grant a patent license providing freedom to some of the parties
>> | receiving the covered work authorizing them to use, propagate,
>> | modify or convey a specific copy of the covered work to any of
>> | the parties receiving the covered work, then the patent license
>> | you grant is automatically extended to all recipients of the
>> | covered work and works based on it."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.betanews.com/article
> GPL_Last_Call_Draft_Removes_Language_Threatening_to_Novell/1180713402
>

> I think Novel and Micoshaft Corporation are going to do their best
> to lie until they drop dead.
>
> There is nothing for them to lose in doing that.
>
> GPL3 is going to cut like a razor through their angry deal
> making activities for the sake of money. However, free software
> developers will go on making more free software under GPL3.
>
> Its the worst possible scenario for both of them
> because neither are into open source any more.
>
> They are both into control freaky showmanship and owning software.
>
> In a very sad way, they are both just in it for the money
> and however much source code you give them under GPL3,
> they can never become rich because they don't understand
> open source. It will be down to the Red Hats and IBMs of this
> world to make money as they already do.

This is likely to end in court actually. I was not the only one thinking it's
unlikely, but having spoken to someone, Microsoft will probably feel like a
jilted lover and put the 'bully mask' again.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
  2:00am  up 35 days 10:22,  10 users,  load average: 0.87, 1.37, 0.87