Re: [News] [Linux] New Qt Toolkit is Impressive

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
<linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:39:53 GMT
<slrnf60tg9.g3v.linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Mulehead wrote:
>>> How does eye candy speed up my SQL queries???  Does it help me do
>>> anything faster?  No, it just eats processor and impresses the
>>> Windows crowd...
>>
>> It impresses everyone, bonehead, and it makes you much more likely to stick
>> with the software (except for Linonut - his screen is death-warmed-over).
>
> Nah, my screen in now beautiful.  Found some Futurama wallpaper.  So you
> can now bite my shiny metal ass <grin>.
>
>> Mark Shuttleworth of Ubuntu was crowing over "pretty is a feature" not too
>> long ago.
>
> No one but a moron would waste RAM and CPU cycles on X Windows on a
> database server.
>
> Hint:  You can fire up the GUI whenever you want to do maintenance using
> GUI tools, should you be so mentally-challenged as to require GUI tools
> to administer a database.  The rest of the time, you don't need it running.

There's also the little issue that many databases allow
for some remote administration.  PostgreSQL has to have
it explicitly enabled (-i 5432), but once done any network
node, within limits defined by PostgreSQL's files and other
policies, can issue SQL commands such as CREATE DATABASE,
DROP TABLE, and INSERT INTO GOOD_OPERATING_SYSTEMS(NAME,
VALUE) VALUES('Linux', 'Free').  :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };