Re: [News] [Linux] Torvalds Likes Tivoization, GPLv3 Misconceptions Rebutted

> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 20 June 2007 10:55 : \____

>>> Torvalds needs to step down IMHO. People like him should be
>>> working on proprietary software, since that is apparently what he
>>> prefers. He should stop poisoning the FOSS food chain with his
>>> genetically modified ideals.

>> You're cracked.
>>
>> This is what he *actually* said.

[snip]

I've seen it, in fact I read the whole (very long) thread, which is
still ongoing. Torvalds is extremely abusive and dismissive of other's
ideas, which is entirely the wrong stance for a so-called community
project leader. Is Linux an open project or a dictatorship? He's losing
followers left and right with his needlessly vicious comments, and Con
Kolivas (scheduler improvements) has already quit because of Torvalds'
dismissive attitude towards his valuable contribution.

At one point Torvalds even denounced Alexandre Oliva (Red Hat engineer)
as a Troll and plonked him!!! Alan Cox had to intercede on more than one
occasion and renounce any association with Torvalds opinions. Torvalds
is completely cutting himself off from everyone. He's become a
(literally) raving lunatic.

> He used some "Humpty-dumpty" and Alice and Wonderland analogy/fable
> to refer to the "hippies" (FSF) last week, which I still find
> disrespectful.

His comments about Gnome were even worse.

AFAICT Linus cares about nothing but himself and his own agenda, he
should fork the code and go off by himself to play with a proprietary
kernel, and leave the rest of us to implement a GPL3 replacement.

> He should never forget where he came from.

He seems uncannily like Jörg Schilling, an opportunist who leached off
the Free Software community, then turned his back on them once he
realised he didn't really want the software to be Free.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what
| is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases
| in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth
| knowing in case you have a choice between "X" and making more
| money, almost certainly "X" is what you should choose."
|   - Barry Schwartz
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 14:48:52 up 15 days,  2:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.73, 0.52, 0.36