Re: [News] [Linux] Torvalds Likes Tivoization, GPLv3 Misconceptions Rebutted

____/ Kier on Wednesday 20 June 2007 10:55 : \____

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:04:19 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

>>> Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/17/303
>>>
>>> Quite rude/blunt as usual
>>
>> Torvalds needs to step down IMHO. People like him should be working on
>> proprietary software, since that is apparently what he prefers. He
>> should stop poisoning the FOSS food chain with his genetically modified
>> ideals.
>
> You're cracked.
>
> This is what he *actually* said.
>
> "Your whole idiotic argument misses the point:
>
> What Tivo did is *good* in my opinion!
>
> Can't you get that through your skull?
>
> They gave the software back! Be happy! They *followed* the rules. They
> *followed* the tit-for-tat."

He used some "Humpty-dumpty" and Alice and Wonderland analogy/fable to refer to
the "hippies" (FSF) last week, which I still find disrespectful. He should
never forget where he came from. GNU might be nowhere without Linux, but
without GNU, Linus had no chance. 15% of Debian is GNU. Linux is only 3%.
Without Linus, GNU would have gotten Hurd off the ground more quickly. It's
about momentum. Just look at *BSDs...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded