Re: [News] [Linux] Mandriva Linux 2008 a "New Start" with a Lot of Changes

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 20 June 2007 09:18 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
>
>> Can I make a suggestion, for a spare drive or machine rather than a
>> replacement for your current machine.
>>
>> The Debian online install is very quick if you take the base product
>
> Oh sure, that my MO exactly. I prefer minimal installs, then build (as
> necessary) from there. I have used the net-install ISO before - very
> quick and easy.
>
> I'll still get the new machine though, it's an organisational thang.

I thought the same thing (about minimal installs) when I set up Ubuntu. I
couldn't find a GUI-less route (trust me, I tried). A CLI installer was the
only option when I installed Ubuntu 4.10 at work (maybe even 5.06 which I
tried at home).

That said, I regretted this inclination when I realised that I could play games
while Ubuntu gets installed. Still, there are many packages here that I don't
need, including GNOME. It's not worth/safe removing them because some of
the 'management' tools depend of that 'appendage' (not necessarily "depend" in
the technical sense).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
Mem:    515500k total,   446400k used,    69100k free,      932k buffers