Re: [News] [Linux] Mandriva Linux 2008 a "New Start" with a Lot of Changes

[H]omer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
>
>> Really? You try and find the free one on mandriva's web site.
>
> From the front page:
>
> Top line, second link from the right - "downloads".
> First heading - "One 2007 Spring", link - "Download Mandriva One".
> Whole page of mirrors, I chose:
> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2007.1/
> Various choices available between i586, x86_64, DVD, Gnome or KDE CD.
>
>> But the news on the main site I use is that Mandriva has come good again,
>> great things are expected of the 2008 version apparently because the free
>> download version is so good. It will be nice to see Mandriva heading for
>> the top 5 again.
>
> I've been a loyal Red Hatter for years, but if I had to switch, I'd
> choose Mandriva. Many people swear by their Powerpacks, although as you
> say, sometimes their service can be a bit patchy. Their current
> "Mandriva One" offering is very, very slick indeed, although I still
> have some reservations about their repo management, which I found quite
> confusing (ref: trying to get the right kernel source to build VMWare
> modules).
>
> Then again, I've been itching to go the Debian route for a long time
> too, for both technical and political reasons. The two things which have
> held me back are inertia and my unfamiliarity with Deb package building,
> which I would want to switch to from RPM maintenance.
>
> What I might do is buy a Dell Ubuntu box (if and when they ever start
> selling them in the UK), then pick up my dpkg skills on that first, then
> move over to Debian main. I'd prefer a "real" Debian box to a
> virtualised client - purely for logistical reasons (I'm rapidly running
> out of drive space).
>
> One thing you can absolutely guarantee about Debian, is that they'll
> never make a pact with the Beast like Novell, Xandros or Linspire. That
> fact alone is enough to make me want to switch to Debian - I'd like that
> long-term security. With the Ubuntu's, Mandriva's, and Red Hat's of this
> world, you can never be 100% sure, due to their financial dependence
> (those who need money, can be corrupted with money).

Can I make a suggestion, for a spare drive or machine rather than a
replacement for your current machine.

The Debian online install is very quick if you take the base product, one
time I did this I was too greedy with packages and it took hours to come
onboard. But I stopped that and did it again with just the base it was very
quick. Then just apt-gett'ed as and when I wanted bits-n-bobs.

This way also gives you a very slick machine. Great for new users to learn
on, but for you it will give you a nice slick machine because you already
know what packages you want so no need for all the extra stuffing.