Re: [News] [Linux] Torvalds Likes Tivoization, GPLv3 Misconceptions Rebutted

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 20 June 2007 04:04 : \____

>> Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linus: I think Tivoization is *good*...
>> `----
>>
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/17/303
>>
>> Quite rude/blunt as usual
>
> Torvalds needs to step down IMHO. People like him should be working on
> proprietary software, since that is apparently what he prefers. He
> should stop poisoning the FOSS food chain with his genetically modified
> ideals.

Yes, I know. CK recently left. Apparently he argued that his work hadn't
received proper recognition. Linus seems like a hard person to work with if
you ask me. Alan Cox, on the other hand... [see links at bottom]

http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2006/debconf6/theora-unscaled/2006-05-16/tower/GPLv3_and_Debian-Don_Armstrong.ogg

> The Debconf7 videos are up now too.

Ta muchly.

___
Linux guru backs new GNU licence

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source guru Alan Cox has voiced his support for the
| controversial version 3.0 of the GNU General Public Licence
| in an exclusive podcast interview with Computer Weekly.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/10/223693/linux-guru-backs-new-gnu-licence.htm

Months later...

,----[ Quote ]
| [Cox:] Personally I think it's a bad idea and that Novell are going to
| get stung by the GPLv3, and rightfully so. The license is designed
| to keep the software free, if it fails to do this then it needs
| fixing, so GPLv3 hopefully will fix this flaw.
`----

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozhovory/alan-cox?page=1

I guess we can only trust guys with beards.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
Swap:  1510068k total,   601424k used,   908644k free,    50284k cached