Re: [News] [Linux] 60% of Motorola's Phones Expected to Run Linux Fairly Soon

____/ John Locke on Monday 18 June 2007 16:41 : \____

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:03:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Linux Community Looks Past Microsoft
>>
>>| "Linux will take a significant--I'm not allowed to say
>>| 'dominant'--market share of mobile phone operating systems," she
>>| predicted. Motorola expects 60% of its phones will use a version of
>>| embedded Linux "in a short time," Wyatt said.
>
> The mobile market is where Linux will really shine. Microsoft is
> pretty bent out of shape about this situation. Another lost market.

They recently claimed a rise in China, but I don't know whether it was on
a /relative/ basis (cellphones spread as a whole). Either way, their
platform is said to only appeal to business users, with market share
estimated at 4% (recently I spotted 6%, which is still nothing). This
division of the company is losing _a lot_ of money, IIRC.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer