Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft is PAYING Linux Vendors to Accept 'Blame'

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> From http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php
>
> [PJ: Actually, I went to USPTO and did a simple search and I can't find
> any
> [Linspire] patents at all. So what kind of patent deal is this, and what
> precisely is Microsoft paying Linspire for? It can't be interoperability.
> You can do that with Linux anyway, without any need for an agreement. Yet,
> news reports are saying Linspire got some money. So if that is true, what
> was it for? And if it's a straight patent license, how is it not a
> violation of GPLv2, let alone v3?]

My guess is that Microsoft is trying to gain some kind of 'control' over
Linux, primarily through commercial companies, who can easily be pressured
or suckered into making a deal if you hand them some money. Linux cannot be
controlled or killed by Microsoft, but commercial companies can.

By getting some control over Linux companies Microsoft can smother them by
playing favorites. Let's say Red Hat was foolish enough to sign on, then
they would probably favor Novell for some time thereby weakining Red Hat.
Once Red Hat has been weakened enough they'd dump Novell too (and all those
other suckers that signed on).