Re: [News] [Linux] KDE Shows Where Other Operating Systems Fall Short

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:40:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> KIO - the killer app for KDE
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| For example, there is a slave for SFTP transfer, one for FTP, another for
>>| Windows file, sharing (SMB) and so on. What this means in a practical
>>| sense is that all KDE applications can access information from all these
>>| file systems transparently, as if it was a local file.
>> `----
>>
>> http://fosswire.com/2007/06/16/kio-the-killer-app-for-kde/
>
> Doesn't anyone else think this is at the wrong layer?  Shouldn't filesystem
> support be in the VFS layer of the kernel, and not the gui?
>
> Now, granted, there is good use for such integration for non-filesystem
> based access, like to a Subversion repository or where the GUI needs to
> send commands to and from the service, but standard file operations
> shouldn't be at the gui layer.

They aren't at the GUI layer.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIO

And since it implements many protocols that are not file systems, it
seems reasonable to be above the VFS.

I'm sure there are many arguing points about how kio is implemented,
though.  (Myself, I don't know a lot about, I'm lucky I know about
D-Bus.)

--
Tux rox!