[News] [Linux] Is SimplyMEPIS Simply the Best KDE Distribution?

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] Is SimplyMEPIS Simply the Best KDE Distribution?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:05:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SimplyMEPIS 6.5 - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been very impressed by the entire SimplyMEPIS 6.5 operating
| system. It was probably the best install experience I have ever had,
|  offers great response, and has an enjoyable interface. Personally,
| I feel that this has been my best KDE experience thus far, even with
| my previous use of PCLinuxOS 2007. You may not hear too much about
| MEPIS when it comes to Linux news sites, but there is definitely a
| good reason why there are so many users.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/06/15/simplemepis-65-a-review/

Related:

A first look at SimplyMEPIS 6.5

,----[ Quote ]
| The final of SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now out. You can either buy a
| subscription to the distribution from the SimplyMEPIS store or
| download a copy from one of the MEPIS mirrors.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6383341657.html

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Release Candidate 2 [screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| The second release candidate for SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now
| available. SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC2 replaces QtParted with
| GParted, improvements to the MEPIS Xconfig assistant,
| and a fair amount of other changes beyond the original
| release candidate. SimplyMEPIS is another Ubuntu-based
| distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=667&num=1

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 adds Beryl 0.2.0 Final and Installer Translations

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 has been uploaded to the MEPIS subscribers
| pool and propagated to the public mirrors.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/13211

Review: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is definitely the coolest distribution I have
| reviewed so far. The eye candy is very sweet indeed, but more over
| it is put together well and simply works. I also like the fact
| it uses KDE instead of GNOME, but mainly for personal preference.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-simplymepis-65-rc1/

MEPIS founder clarifies MEPIS/Ubuntu relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Woodford [MEPIS]: Again it's a matter of what you mean by those words.
| Mark [Shuttleworth] and I talked it over before I switched to Ubuntu.
| He's clear that MEPIS is an independent distro. And yet, it is fair
| to say on the Ubuntu site that MEPIS is a derivative of Ubuntu,
| from the point of view that we use the Ubuntu packages. And we
| use them by choice, because they meet our needs and they're
| the best available. That reference at the Ubuntu site says
| that we endorse Ubuntu, and we do.

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
|      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| than Vista.
| ^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

SaxenOS and SimplyMEPIS - bumps in the middle of the road

,----[ Quote ]
| SaxenOS 2.0 Beta 1
|
| [...]
|
| I've always liked STX and can say I believe I like SaxenOS even better.
| It's still wonderful for older hardware and now with 2.0 it is easier
| to install and use. It's always fast, stable, and fairly complete. I
| feel like the version bump perhaps should have come at the beginning
| of this development cycle due to the massive interface changes, so
| it is definitely justified now.
|
| [...]
|
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Beta 5
|
| [...]
|
| Despite KDE still being version 3.5.3 and much of the same software
| is offered, the updated look and feel as well as the X server and
| promise of Beryl does seem to justify a version bump mid-cycle
| for SimplyMEPIS.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070219#review

Simply Mepis 6.0-4 Beta 4 -- A gift from the MEPIS gods 64 Bit that actually
works

,----[ Quote ]
| To quote myself, something I never do, "I will be back for the 64 bit
| when available however, as I am still waiting on a distro that will
| uncork my boat anchor." Well, guess what folks? I am happy to say
| that MEPIS is now my default system and I am happy to be running 64
| bit on my not so much of a boat anchor laptop.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/29/simply-mepis-604-beta.aspx

TestDriving SimplyMepis 6.0-4 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]