Re: OT - Physical Hard-drive Errors

ed wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:16:59 +0100
>
>> Well, my 'Reiser' is dying on me and I am lucky to even be able to
>> log in. Couldn't even boot into the command line just half an hour
>> ago... hard-drive made funny noises... I have nightly backups, but if
>> I have to rebuild this PC, then I could be off for a few days, or
>> just post from somewhere else. Anyway... just a quick note... not
>> sure if I should even carry on using this PC knowing the the problem
>> will recur.
>>
>> Confused...
>>
>> Should I just ship (PC) or try to squeeze what's left now that it's
>> running again...?
>>
>> Damn.
>>
>> No hardware fault on this Dell for the past 4 years... until now.
>
> Dell are quite good, surprisingly. There used to be a time when it was
> cost effective to build your own rather than buy something OOTB.
>
> Sorry to hear about the loss of hardware, at lunch I was looking
> forward to reading some advocacy news before the company routine trip
> to the pub for a swift pint only to find there were no postings, I
> think people around me could hear the sound of my heart sinking as
> there was only a vacuum in COLA.
>
> My personal advice though is ext3 is good now.

Yes, I'm on ext3 now. I don't know about the future of Reiser. The wording
in the OP was deliberately sarcastic (in a morbid sense).

> Four years ago reiser
> was a good choice, but there is no need and the repair tools available
> for ext3 are generally more reliable.

At the time, I read they had some major deficiencies to address. The same
goes for some other FSes, but ext4 looks promising. Deep inside, Morton and
Linus seem to want ZFS (licence and modularity issues are a peril). Linus
kind of said so a few days ago. I hope it doesn't convince Google to switch
to OpenSolaris some time in the future. It's one of Linux's biggest
clients, advocactes, and supporters (SoC, Morton job, hosting the LF summit
at the moment)...

> I wish you a speedy recovery.

Wish it to Baine, not me. :-)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  RHAT GNU/Linux   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:00pm  up   6:56,  7 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.28