Re: OT - Physical Hard-drive Errors

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Well, my 'Reiser' is dying on me and I am lucky to even be able to log in.
> Couldn't even boot into the command line just half an hour ago...
> hard-drive made funny noises... I have nightly backups, but if I have to
> rebuild this PC, then I could be off for a few days, or just post from
> somewhere else. Anyway... just a quick note... not sure if I should even
> carry on using this PC knowing the the problem will recur.
>
> Confused...
>
> Should I just ship (PC) or try to squeeze what's left now that it's
> running again...?
>
> Damn.
>
> No hardware fault on this Dell for the past 4 years... until now.

Okay, I'm almost there now. I now have far more powerful (and up-to-date)
software. I also got my display working better than before, so it's almost
4000 pixels wide. In in all, this will lead to productivity improvements.
It turned out that my CR-ROM was dead as well, but it has been replaced.
Seeing today's distros and ease of setup, Linux is dead easy and more
powerful than I imagined. It puts Tiger to shame, no doubt...

I'm restoring scripts and tasks that I have set up over the past few years,
but hopefully I'll return to posting on Saturday. One headline that caught
my eye yesterday talked about the LF planning an (legal?) assault on
Microsoft. Things are looking bright for Linux!

Thanks, guys, for all the support!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  RHAT GNU/Linux   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:00pm  up   6:56,  7 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.28