[News] [Linux] Red Hat Presents This Year's Innovator, Apple Lags Behind as Innovator

Hill Air Force Base Named First Red Hat Innovator of the Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Hill's deployment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, codenamed Project
| Bonfire, reduced average nightly load time by nine hours,
| eliminated system crashes and provided for greater security
| and reliability, helping Hill win the Innovation in Government
| category of the Innovation Awards. Hill IT professionals built
| a new system from scratch with almost no disruption to the
| 18,000 end users on base.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070612/20070612005205.html?.v=1

Apple Underwhelms

,----[ Quote ]
| He didn't convince the crowd. "This is almost no story," said Apple
| software developer Wolf Rentzsch. "I didn't even think they could
| offer us so little."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/11/apple-developers-iphone-tech-cx_rr_0611applesoftware.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yo22lx

Guess what? No ZFS. Not quite.

Apple Clarifies Status of ZFS File System In Mac OS

,----[ Quote ]
| ZFS "is only available a read-only option from the command line,"
| according to an Apple spokesperson.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;?articleID=199903525

No iPhone SDK Means No Killer iPhone Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| So no SDK == no access to iPhone's cool frameworks == no revolutionary
| apps, no real new concepts coming from third-parties, no eye candy
| available for anyone but Apple and no possibility for some really
| crazy games that will fully exploit the graphic and multi-touch
| power of the iPhone.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/fast-and-furious/no-iphone-sdk-means-no-iphone-killer-apps-267899.php

Related:

Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
| than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
| product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
| preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
| mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/forget_iphone_hail_openmoko_the_true_revolution

Open Phones with Open Moko

,----[ Quote ]
| While the hardware may be similar, the strategy is a complete
| reversal of Apple's closed platform and proprietary hardware.
| OpenMoko is an open Linux-based mobile application development
| platform that's designed to help operators and developers build
| innovative applications on top of a basic phone platform.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/01/15/open_phone/

Editorial: The No-SDK Cheat

,----[ Quote ]