Re: [News] [Linux] Red Hat Presents This Year's Innovator, Apple Lags Behind as Innovator

http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/11/apple-developers-iphone-tech-cx_rr_0611applesoftware.html?partner=yahootix
> http://tinyurl.com/yo22lx

I wonder why they are limiting developers to Safari, it's like saying Linux
developers can only create software that is an addon for Firefox. Ok for
some applications, but not for all.

I know apple have always been a bit tight with programmers, but now they
have developers trapped in a tiny corner where they are very unlikely to
come up with much of interest. Oh! I wonder if anyone has thought of
writing a music library application for it, don't none of you go pinching
my idea. But really it's daft stuff like that that the developers are stuck
with now.

With the integration of Apple, music and web, I would have thought that the
handset would be a part of that. It no doubt is part of it for Apples own
developers and close partners, but is a closed door to anyone else who
wanted to add a it to the system.

Be warned Apple, piss off your developers and your heading for serious
troubles. The one main part of all handhelds/PDAs/Inteligent phones that is
missing, is applications and inparticular, user's own applications.

I would stick my kneck out and say that the first of these to bring out a
device that is truely user configurable and user programmable, will be the
biggest hit.

I love my PDA, wouldn't be without it now, but it is not much more than a
pocket phone book and notes. The other applications are ok, look like a
nice set of things to fit onto a diddy little handheld. But they are not
really much use as part of this device in real world use.

The spreadsheet gets used mainly because it's a better calculator than the
onboard calculator, Word never gets used because 'Notes' is just as good
and faster to load.

The calculator is crap, if you want scientific you need two devices in your
pocket or use the Spreadsheet.

It is frustrating because now I have had PDAs for a few years I know how I
would like to use it, but no device I have seen is capable, except for one,
it was a Sharp that was only sold in the far east where you could script in
perl. That is much more like the device that a PDA ought to be.