Re: [News] [OSS] The European Patent System Lacks Trust, "Open Source" Method Adopted

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Euro patent workers have no faith in their masters
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | European Patent Office (EPO) staff have "worryingly low" levels of
>> | trust in the organisation's highest governing bodies, according to
>> | a leaked internal document entitled Governance of the EPO: a
>> | staff perspective.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/11/epo_faithless_staff/
>
> "The survey of EPO staff reveals that 96 per cent of employees failed to
> give their unconditional trust and support for the administrative
> council, while just seven per cent said they had faith in the EPO's
> president. In a similar survey carried out just two years earlier, 28
> per cent of staff gave the president their vote of confidence.
>
> Much of the staff's mistrust of its management stems from the perception
> that the European Council (those national reps again) "is pursuing
> financial self interest" through a fee structure under which annual
> renewal fees from European patents are split 50/50 with national patent
> offices."
>
> Seems like a scam to me. They should shut down the EPO and tell them to
> take their rotten patents with them.

This is *precisely* the problem which has ruined the USPTO.  Government
agencies should *not* be profit centres, they do not create wealth in
any economic sense, rather, they are a cost to all involved.  The US
offices activities have done almost as much to damage technical progress
in the US as Microsoft have.