Re: [News] [Linux] Request for Dell to Provide Cheap Blank Boxes

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Why Dell should offer more than just Ubuntu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dell can supply normal machines at exceptional value so I see no
> | reason why they can't extend their Ubuntu scheme to offering
> | completely blank computers. Bringing Linux to the mainstream
> | is a good idea but you need to think beyond that - enthusiasts
> | spend a lot money and we like making our own decisions. Give us
> | a blank box and we'll put whatever Linux we like on it. They
> | get a sale and I get a smile - everyone's a winner.
> `----
>
> http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_dell_should_offer_more_than_
>
> But Microsoft calls these 'naked PCs' and contends that it leads to Windows
> piracy (see below). It even opposes Linux preinstalls for the same reason.
> The nerve.

Yes, the nerve.  And, Lenovo just sold a million systems with Linux to
an India state government.

Toshiba did announce EU Linux Laptops, but, two weeks later, all is
quiet about that.

Intel/Asustek demonstrated the "$189.00 Laptop" to be released this Fall.

I believe the game is 'up' for Microsoft, who have been hiring some very
sharp Linux developers...  Steven Hilf has 400 Linux boxen (2 years now)
in the Redmond Linux Lab for "testing" of Linux ISOs...

snipped off...

> Dell's next step - SUSE Linux desktops?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There are a couple of good reasons to draw this
> | conclusion. One, if Dell wants to cosy up to a Linux
> | reseller and not put its relationship with Microsoft
> | under strain, then that reseller has to be Novell.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Second, Dell would much prefer to deal with a US
> | company rather than an outsider - and, no matter
> | what Mark Shuttleworth's standing is in the tech
> | community, he is an outsider in the US, certainly
> | not one of the "boys."
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12731&Itemid=1091

M$ is not worried about Linux.

M$ is very worried about Open Source, the movement, as we are
individuals, numbering between 100 and 400 million, who influence others
by word of mouth, because we have nothing to gain by lying, and
everything to lose if we practice deception on our family and friends.

ROSS advocates know and believe that anyone should be permitted to
"gather salt" without taxation, as was done by M. Ghandi, and, it broke
the British Colonial rule of India, and other colonies!

There were many small but significant battles on the road to freedom.
Tens of thousands answered the call.  With modern Linux computing
systems abundant worldwide, we are taking back the 'streets' and byways
of the internet.

Oh, yeah, the Penguinistas are ready for this fight!  World governments
know that poverty can't be reversed by decree.  To feed the people who
were once forced to 'pirate' a shakey, flakey OS, new fertile fields
must be opened.  Linux and FOSS are those fields!

Microsoft would woo any ally, make any promises, bribe any politician,
to delay the day of their doom!  Sooner or later, the people will
mandate terms.