Re: Linux desktop "Killer Apps"

[snips]

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:57:24 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> KDE is not a desktop application, but it contains many "killer apps" such as
> AmaroK and K3B. These two applications, for examples, are enough to make
> users of other platforms envious, assuming they have actually tried them. To
> me, KNode is a killer application as well. Konqueror and Kate embody a lot
> of function that you simply cannot elsewhere. What about XPDF/KPDF? Many
> Windows and Mac users are still very afraid of clicking links that lead to
> PDFs. Why? Acrobat Reader. It's a resource pig.

Good goat, is it ever.  However, let's also mention kmail here.

Why?  it's one of the best, frankly, IMO.  Fire up the anti-spam wizard,
it auto-detects at least five different anti-spam engines if they're
installed, and uses relatively sane defaults for each.

Rule-based filtering, of course, with the rules attached to arbitrary
accounts, all the usual goodies, a decent message search and on and on.

I don't think I'm ever going to be that big a fan of KNode, not until
their scoring and highliting works a little more effectively, but kmail is
just one serious kick-ass mail client.

For me, though, the ultimate killer app for Linux - for Linux _desktop_
usage - is ssh.

Simple example... I access most of the same mailboxes between home and
work and other places... but because they're mostly POP, I either end up
leaving messges on the server for a week, or I miss messages in one place
because they're downloaded somewhere else.

Screw that noise; I've got key-based ssh logins to home; I just run my
mail client from there.  On the desktop, it works just like it were local,
but I never have to lose an email or miss anything or dick around with
filters and rules going machine to machine; it's all in one place, and
works transparently.  Hard to beat.

'Course, ssh is also great for remote file copies, remote file management
and about 973 other things, as well - and most of those are desktop-based,
rather than "geek CLI stuff".

While we're on about KDE... XP adopted this notion of hiding systray icons
(making one wonder why have 'em there in the first place?  If they're that
important, you don't want 'em hidden...)  KDE, here at least, uses
multiple rows, so you can actually see all your systray apps.  Hardly
magic, but it's just one more in a whole long string of things that make
Linux, for me, easier, friendlier, better to use.