Re: [SOT] Patent Battles Begin in Mobile Device Industry

On Jun 11, 6:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Nokia files patent suit against Qualcomm
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Oyj, the world's top mobile phone maker, filed a patent counter-suit
> | against Qualcomm Inc in a Texas court seeking
> | damages and an injunction against the U.S. chip maker.
> `----
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070611/bs_nm/nokia_qualcomm_texas_dc

Ironic, isn't it?  Send e-mail over a cell phone using GPL software,
and you can PATENT it?  What is it that isn't intuitive?  Converting
IP packets to CDMA or GSM?  Entering text using 9 key touch pad?
Sending e-mail using SMTP?

> Paperwork instead of innovation. Hilarity ensures.

If these clowns had been around when Apple showed the first one to HP,
we might still be fighting over who made the best programmable
calculator.

> Related:
>
> Patent creators say Microsoft lied to get better deal on DVR patents
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft is facing a patent lawsuit over its failed Ultimate TV DVR
> | system. The lawsuit, filed by joint venture company Intellivision
> | (no relation to the Mattel console), accuses the company of making
> | fraudulent and misleading claims in order to acquire intellectual
> | property without having to make royalty payments.
> `----

Let's see.  Microsoft tried to clone TIVO, and was shocked when they
found out that at least some portion of it was patented by someone
else.

On the other hand, maybe if Microsoft had been a bit more agressive
about asserting the prior art based on GPL, along with GPL video
viewers and video streaming, some of which dates back to the 1980s,
they could have completely nullified all of these patent claims.

Instead, Microsoft settled, and offered to "help" with "enforcement"
of the patents in question.

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070604-patent-creators-say-mic...http://tinyurl.com/2bpmv7
>
> New business model: Reverse Patent Trolling
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Want an eight-figure check in time for Christmas shopping? Sure you
> | do. Microsoft's vague patent threats against Linux create an
> | opportunity to do a nifty variation on the patent
> | trolling business model.
> | [...]
> |
> | Naturally, Microsoft, in order to win, needs to keep the actual
> | list of patents secret.
> `----

This strategy could backfire.  Since Microsoft is unwilling to be
specific, it could result in a review of ALL Microsoft patent
applications, and nullification of most of these patents as a result
of the exploration of prior art not listed in the original patent
application.  If Microsoft has excluded GPL prior art in it's patent
application, that could, in itself, be grounds for patent
nullification or revokation, or even transfer of the patent to GNU.