Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft's Linux Obsession, Apple Anvy

__/ [ John Locke ] on Monday 11 June 2007 06:45 \__

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:06:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Has Microsoft Gone Linux-Crazy?
>>
>>| Before anybody says "Maybe Microsoft wants to go into the Unix
>>| business themselves." - remember, they already tried that. Xenix was
>>| the Microsoft Unix, leveraged through them to eventually become SCO
>>| Unix. And we all know how that turned out, don't we?
>
> Its in the wind.  They're getting smarter. They've fianlly figured out
> that you don't need 75,000 people, a bunch of over paid execs, 500
> lawyers and six years to produce an operating system. Here comes
> MicroLux ! The latest and greatest distro from your favorite software
> company.

The New Linux Distro

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Distro is Microsoft
|
| These companies are now paying Microsoft. Sure, Microsoft is paying
| them as well...but the kicker is this: These companies are paying
| Microsoft for Linux.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/215-The-New-Linux-Distro.html

We don't have to buy it though. Also, since it's GPLv3-licensed (or otherwise
rusty and outdated, stuck in the state of 2007), you can fork and
redistribute it. Choose your own EULA. Hopefully Microsoft will assign a lot
of engineer to this, in order to improve your /own/ distro. Maybe it'll even
donate a few mirrors with Akamai...

GPLv3 is quite a tragic event for Microsoft. At least it managed to take down
Xandros before the licence came out and before the CEO of Xandros woke up
and got knocked by the GPL cluebat. They apologise endlessly in the news,
but it's too late.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
Cpu(s):   8.7% user,   4.7% system,   0.8% nice,  85.8% idle