Re: [News] [SOT] Prince (the Artist) blasted for giving away his latest CD

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 30 June 2007 09:48 : \____

> Oh Dear, it seems the self-appointed music industry police are not happy
> campers:
>
> .----
> | <snipperoooo>
>
> | >  - http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html
>
> I used to think "Prince" was more of a "Ponce", but with this latest
> move, he's got my vote. Anything that pisses off the Muzak Nazis has got
> to be a GoodThing®.

Prince has actually released some good songs (some of them he just 'borrowed'
from past bands like the Stylistics, but never mind). I fully agree with on on
this one. He hasn't got much respect... until now. They try to suffocate and
to force people to buy, buy, buy over and over and over again. The Land of
Nothing For Free (Jeremy Allison). They threaten to retaliate against those
who give away free stuff. Didn't Microsoft threaten to "whack" Dell for
selling Free software?

> Wait 'till major artists start releasing under the Creative Commons
> license, then the Muzak Nazis will *really* have something to bitch
> about. LOL!
>
> Be sure to get your Mail On Sunday tomorrow.

Be sure I'll YouTube and get royalty-free music for a long time to come. I will
not be buying a single CD for a long, long time. Their sales/profits/revenue
(can't recall which) were down 40% in just one year and piracy is not the only
cause. They need to learn to cope with emerging trends, not threaten to bust
some knee caps. They eliminate _a lot_ of legitimate stuff and use convenient
excuses.

Did you see the number of Slashdot comment this news attracted on a Friday
night?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
 12:00:03 up 13 days, 17:28,  4 users,  load average: 3.21, 2.45, 1.19