Re: [News] [Rival] Big Companies to Forbid Consumer's Backup, Blame Piracy

> I'm telling you, Ghost, I'm getting freaked out when I see what
> America's Big Media is doing to culture. Hours ago I saw an article
> that said they now retaliate against Prince because he gave free CDs
> to the Brits. They kill Web radio, they kill P2P, they tax the Web,
> they crack down on barber shops that play some music... they want to
> dry up /any/ kind of music (no matter how legitimate it is) so that
> every person (no matter how poor) is forced to pay for.... folklore.
> This is outrageous, don't you think? Greed does not know any bounds.
> Maybe they'll start charging you to enter shopping malls because
> there's some background music too. Meanwhile, it seems like digital
> radios adopt some freaky DRM 'features'. It may seem harmless now,
> but I hate to think what will/might happen 10 years from now. If back
> in 1980 someone told you that all popular software would be binary,
> expensive, and suitable for one single architecture, you would not
> have believed him/her, right?

Nice rant, and all true. Horrible but true.

Don't count on the law to reverse this trend of corporate control.
It was the law that instigated this corporate control to begin with.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
|  never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
|  people, and neither do we." - George (Dubya) Bush.
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 10:28:29 up 2 days,  3:25,  2 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.16, 0.18